We Guarantee Your Child's Success in Higher GCSE Maths
"Platinum Tuition is the only tuition centre that prepares students for Maths exam at any level from primary school to university."
Mathematics is a creative and highly inter-connected discipline that has been developed over centuries, providing the solution to some of history’s most intriguing problems. It is essential to everyday life, critical to science, technology and engineering, and necessary for financial literacy and most forms of employment.
Our specialized and experience tutors are inspiring in their teaching and are able to motivate your child to achieve their highest in their GCSE Maths exam and get to the best colleges.
If your child plans to Maths (and Further Maths) at A-levels or any higher level we can help them to succeed in their exams and get to their favorite and chosen university and be confident about their future career.
Teaching from September 2015 with the first set of exams in June 2017 GCSE Maths will have the following changes:
- It will be tiered with an overlapping tiers model
- Foundation tier covers grades 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (U)
- Higher tier covers grades 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, (3), (U)
- Overlap at grades 5 and 4
A breakdown of each paper
For the Foundation tier
- 50% of the paper must be targeted at grades 1, 2, 3
- 50% of the paper must be targeted at grades 3, 4, 5
For the Higher tier
- 50% of the paper must be targeted at grades 4, 5, 6
- 50% of the paper must be targeted at grades 7, 8, 9
20% of the marks must be in common questions appearing on both tiers
The topics and the weightings of each content area which are set by Ofqual at each tier are as follows:
Number: Foundation 25%, Higher 15%
Algebra: Foundation 20%, Higher 30%
Ratio, proportion and rates of change: Foundation 25%, Higher 20%
Geometry and measures: Foundation 15%, Higher 20%
Probability & Statistics: Foundation 15%, Higher 15%
Subject Content Introduced in the new GCSE:
- know the exact values of sinθ and cosθ for θ = 0°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°; know the exact value of tanθ for θ = 0°, 30°, 45° and 60° (Foundation and Higher tier)
- use inequality notation to specify simple error intervals due to truncation or rounding (Foundation and Higher tier)
- Venn diagrams (Foundation and Higher tier)
- work with percentages greater than 100% (Foundation and Higher tier)
- recognise and use the equation of a circle with centre at the origin; find the equation of a tangent to a circle at a given point (Higher tier only)
- find approximate solutions to equations numerically using iteration (Higher tier only)
- interpret the gradient at a point on a curve as the instantaneous rate of change; apply the concepts of average and instantaneous rate of change (gradients of chords and tangents) in numerical, algebraic and graphical contexts (Higher tier only)
Previously Higher Tier Content now Included at Foundation Tier:
- trigonometric ratios
- calculate with and interpret standard form (A x 10n ), where 1 ≤ A < 10 and n is an integer
- apply addition and subtraction of vectors, multiplication of vectors by a scalar, and diagrammatic and column representations of vectors
- factorising quadratic expressions of the form x 2 + bx + c, including the difference of two squares
- using y = mx + c to work with straight lines on graphs
To get more advise and help on preparing your child for Higher GCSE Maths exam contact us or visit our Tuition Centre.