We Guarantee Your Child's Success in Year 2 Maths SATs
"Platinum Tuition is the only tuition centre that prepares students for Maths exam at any level from primary school to university."
Towards the end of Key Stage 1, Year 2 children take the KS1 SATs. (Statutory Assessment Tests). The children are assessed between the beginning of January and 4 weeks before the end of the summer term. Tasks and Tests may be administered at any time during the assessment period. Reported results will reflect children’s everyday achievements and not just results obtained in a ‘one-off’ test.
Word problems, place value, number bonds, polygons and pictograms – they’re all taught in KS1 maths and can be tested as part of the Y2 SATs.
From 2016, children will take two separate maths SATs:
Paper 1: Arithmetic
The arithmetic paper consists of 25 questions and takes about 20 minutes, although it isn't strictly timed.
This paper will test your child on their knowledge of the four operations - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
The questions are all in number sentences, with no word problems, such as:
15 + 9 = ______
7 + _____ = 12
2 x 5 = _____
36 - 20 = _____
35 / 7 = _____
48 + 23 = _____
1/4 of 20 = _____
Paper 2: Reasoning
The reasoning paper includes about 30 questions and takes about 35 minutes.
It starts with five mental maths questions, read aloud by the teacher.
The paper will test your child on their ability to apply their maths skills to various problems and puzzles. They will be tested on all four operations, fractions, measurement, geometry and statistics.
The most important objectives that your child needs to cover in preparation for SATs are as follows:
Number and place value:
- Counting in steps of 2, 3, 5 and 10
- Recognising the place value of each digit in a two-digit number
- Putting the numbers 0 to 100 in the correct order, and using the < and > symbols
- Reading and writing numbers to at least 100 in numerals and words
- Knowing addition and subtraction facts to 20
- Adding and subtracting one- and two-digit numbers
- Learning the 2, 5 and 10 times tables, plus division facts
- Identifying odd and even numbers
- Writing number sentences using the x, / and = symbols
- Finding 1/3, 1/4, 2/4 and 3/4 of a shape or quantity
- Writing simple fractions
- Understanding simple equivalence
- Using appropriate units to measure length, weight and capacity
- Calculating with money
- Telling the time to five minutes, including quarter to and quarter past
- Identifying and describing the properties of 2D shapes
- Identifying and describing the properties of 3D shapes
- Understanding that a quarter turn is a right angle. Being able to turn an object a quarter, half or three-quarter turn in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction
- Interpreting and constructing simplepictograms, tally charts, block diagrams and simple tables
- Answering questions about the data presented
To get more advise and help on preparing your child for Year 2 Maths SATs contact us or visit our Tuition Centre.